Your shopping cart is empty.
FREE shipping on orders $50+ * Happy New Year 2019! We're looking forward to a GREAT year! :)
Nov 14, 2017
So, I wanted to feature one specific image I got as it was really fun to do. Here is the steel wool photography pic I got one night at Crab Meadow Beach in Northport, NY:
If you look closely in the middle of the pic you can see my shadow. This was the 1st and only time I've done a pic like this, but I'd like to do another in time for sure! So here's the equipment you need to do this:
2. Cooking Wisk
3. Dog leash
4. Steel Wool
5. Propane Lighter (Grill lighters don't work as I tried them, especially if it's windy)
6. 2 people
Here's a pic (from my phone) of all of the items so you know what they look like:
And here's what you need to do in order to get a pic like this:
1. Put the steel wool in the cooking wisk
2. Attach a dog leash to the end of the cooking wisk
3. Set up your camera on your tripod
4. Put it in MANUAL mode and start with 20 sec. shutter speed, f/8 aperture, and ISO 100. Leave the ISO at 100 as there will be enough light from the steel wool once you light it. If you need to adjust to allow more light into the camera you can always go to 25 sec. or adjust the aperture a little.
5. *IMPORTANT* Mark a spot to where the person will be standing and lighting the steel wool on fire. Make sure the camera is in AUTO FOCUS (also turn the image stabilizer OFF whenever you are using a tripod so nothing inside the lens is moving when doing a long exposure) and shine a light on them in order to FOCUS your lens on them. After you put your focus point on them and focus the lens switch the lens to MANUAL focus. That way when you hit the shutter button it won't be searching for the focus as it is already in focus.
6. Take your propane lighter (only about $20 at a hardware store), fire it up, and light the steel wool on fire, then spin it in a circle until it goes out.
7. HAVE FUN!
CLICK HERE to watch a really good video that demonstrates what I just explained.
CLICK HERE to browse the "Night Photography" series to see the different photos I have gotten including the "Steel Wool Photography" picture.
So now you have the knowledge on how to do Steel Wool Photography and all you need to do is go out and do it! So what are you waiting for? Grab your camera, get all the supplies, and go have some fun! I'd love to see the pictures you get from trying this too!
If you found this post helpful please share with anyone that would find this info useful!
Click here to go to the Steel Wool Light Painting pic
This presence of this badge signifies that this business has officially registered with the Art Storefronts Organization and has an established track record of selling art.
It also means that buyers can trust that they are buying from a legitimate business. Art sellers that conduct fraudulent activity or that receive numerous complaints from buyers will have this badge revoked. If you would like to file a complaint about this seller, please do so here.
The Art Storefronts Organization has verified that this business has provided a returns & exchanges policy for all art purchases.
100% Satisfaction Guaranteed! If an item is damaged in transit or you are unhappy for any reason simply return the picture and a refund of the item price OR exchange will be given to you.
This website provides a secure checkout with SSL encryption.
The Art Storefronts Organization has verified that this Art Seller has published information about the archival materials used to create their products in an effort to provide transparency to buyers.
Museum quality Metal & Canvas and Fine Art archival prints and reproductions. 100% acid free archival cotton papers - a true museum quality appearance.
This is only visible to you because you are logged in and are authorized to manage this website. This message is not visible to other website visitors.
Click on any Image to continue
The above preview shows how to use the live preview on this website. The image displayed is just an example, and is not available for sale.
This means you can use the camera on your phone or tablet and superimpose any piece of art onto a wall inside of your home or business.
To use this feature, Just look for the "Live Preview AR" button when viewing any piece of art on this website!
Below, select which favorite lists you would like to save this product into.
SIGN UP NOW and we'll send you a coupon for 20% OFF your 1st order!
This offer is valid for NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY!